Thursday, July 3, 2008

Tennis

In an effort to become more "cultured," I've been watching Wimbledon on tv. I have zero experience with tennis besides hitting a ball around when I was in elementary school and trying to rock a coral-colored tennis skirt that my aunt (who worked for Head Golf at the time) gave me for my birthday. I realized the other day just how little I know about tennis when the player who won the match was actually the one I thought lost. Talk about sad. I can't even tell who wins. I find tennis to be confusing to watch. I understand the basic concept- hit the other ball in such a way as to keep your opponent from hitting it back to you. Terms like deuce, love, and advantage leave me mind-boggled. I told Luke the other day that I would learn all about tennis if he decides on day that he wants to aspire to become a tennis champion (we watch Wimbledon while he's taking his lunchtime bottle b/c it's on when Ellen usually is). While watching Serena Williams today, I decided that I could find my own place in the magical world of tennis. I will be a ball girl. There are several advantages to this prestigious post. First, you get to watch and learn the game. Second, you don't have to run around too much. Third, and most importantly, you get to dress the part. I like the idea of being what I call and athletic poser- someone who is not athletically inclined personally but who dresses the part. I think I'd like wearing the shoes, skirt, polo, and visor. Who knows, maybe years from now Luke will be playing in the championship and I'll be tossing him neon yellow balls so he can serve. 

3 comments:

emily bee said...

my sister amy wants to be a ball girl, too. you guys would be magic together.

Caren said...

I'm thinking this is where the idea started for the "look like I've just been walking" mall outfit. I just may steal the idea!

Carrie said...

I have to confess that I try to rock that outfit when I wear athletic shorts and tennis shoes.