Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Touch of Pink

For over 3 and a half years, I have lived very happily in the land of blue. I call it Man World. From the day our first son was born, I've been outnumbered, and the scale has continued to tip in favor of the men. I say that in jest. I never imagined that I would be a mom of three boys, but I love my little "mantourage" so dearly. I will confess, that there is a soft spot in me for little girls.

I freely admit that I've had a tug on my heart to add a little pink addition to our family for a while. Last Friday, that dream came true. We got a call around 8:30 asking if we take another foster placement- this time a 2 month old baby girl. After some fast prayer and fast discussion with Chad, we decided to welcome her into our home. As I waited for her to come, I had the same sense of excitement and anticipation that I did when I used to wait for Chad to pick me up for a date. After waiting all day, she arrived around 5 that evening. She warmed and broke my heart in the same moment. She brought very little with her except the strong smell of smoke. Like any baby, she has responded beautifully to feeling loved and safe. I am so grateful for the opportunity to take care of her and love her, even if it's just for a season.

So in the past 3 months our family of four has become a family of six. We can't believe it sometimes, and there are many times we feel like we might be crazy. Despite feeling overwhelmed much of the time, we know that God is challenging our family to live differently. All over the world, men, women and families suffer for the sake of showing the love of Jesus to a hurting and searching world. We are blessed to live lives that don't require too much persecution or suffering. The ease of our life can make us comfortable and content to stay under the radar. I'm learning that having an impact on this world means being willing to challenge myself and lay myself out for others. It's so hard, and I confess that I blow it most of the time. Thank God for grace!!!!

We're not trying to be super people. There's nothing super about us. God has called us and we know without a doubt that we are totally dependent on God to equip us as well. I am awed at His faithfulness to take our brokenness, selfishness and inadequacy and use it.

3 comments:

Laci Yarbrough said...

Yay Carrie. Wow, this is such exciting news. Will be praying for y'all as you adjust to the new member of the fam. :) Thanks for sharing.

Chelsea Gallaway said...

Love what you said about being superb. One shouldn't foster for the extra money or the desired pat on the back and attention from others. It's about the children and helping to do God's work. If you didn't answer the calling, who would?! My hubby was adopted and we've thought a lot about foster/adoption. Something to continue to pray and think about :) good luck Carrie!

Carrie said...

Carrie,

So encouraged by your heart for the Lord and how you love your kids. I'm inspired by how you so readily open your home and your heart. Praying with you on this adventure!

--Carrie Wiley